'Things to Do' Your Trip to London is Incomplete Without (Part 1)
Before I went to live in London for year to pursue my masters degree, in September 2012, I had visited the city twice; once when I was 5 and the second time around when I was 16. The first trip I have very little memory off and the second trip only lasted for a weekend – in which my mom and sister fell ill - so we didn't end up doing much. Hence, London was a city unexplored for me, before I had a chance to go live there alone.
I want to share some of the amazing things I got to do in London by compiling a series of such activities, for future travelers to the city, new residents or students who are there for the first time. I hope you find the list helpful and do some of the things on it (feel free to comment if you do). I'll make this into a multi-part series, mostly because I'm lazy and need to find time to pen this down :)
Thing No.1
A stroll down the Thames (preferably start at South Bank and walk up till Tower Bridge)
| The magnificent Tower Bridge |
I am a huge fan of walking, I think that there is absolutely no better way to see London than to walk around and get a feel of the city and that's why this is an absolute must do! Try to make sure it’s a nice sunny day (we all have weather apps for this) and set out on foot with a couple (or more) of your friends on this wonderfully fun stroll. If it’s raining – don’t let that stop you, because let's face it, it’s almost always raining in London! So get on a pair of Hunter boots, grab an umbrella and brave it out into the streets.
I would recommend starting out at South Bank because there’s always something or the other happening there (festivals, book fairs, pop-up shops and street performances) that’ll give you the quintessential London feel. You can also get a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants or street stalls there, before you start your hour-long journey. Go all the way up till Tower Bridge and enjoy the sights and sounds on the way. Tip: Check here for timings of when exactly the Tower Bridge will lift and see it happen!
It's best to start the walk around mid to late afternoon so that all the activity is still going on at South Bank and make your way down so that you can catch the sunset when you reach Tower Bridge. There's also usually some event or the other going on at The Scoop near Tower Bridge, so check their website before you head out.
Make sure to pose for dozens of photos along the way!
Stay tuned for more of the must do's on my list!
Happy wandering!
P.S: I got to visit London again with my mom in July 2014, and we did almost all the things that I will be writing about here - because I was her (un)official tour guide - and trust me, we had a great time!
No comments:
Post a Comment